Sunday, May 04, 2008

lazy (not yet summer) days

It's true, I've been a lazy cook the past few weeks. I've been making a lot of salads which aren't terribly exciting to write about. Organic mixed greens with blanched asparagus tips, chickpeas, pumpkin seeds and smoked salmon or mixed greens with roasted yams (cooled) and green onions or mixed greens with endive, red cabbage, pears and blue cheese.

My photography class is going well. The first two assignments were easy, trees, flowers and everything outdoors. This week is a little tougher, the theme is less is more. Clean backgrounds and lots of space. All I keep wanting to photograph is a single olive or a half drunk martini.

My new photographic efforts have been cutting into my usual efforts in the kitchen. After all, it's hard to do everything. I've been concentrating my energy to making a toasted sesame maple dressing, delicious on salads. I've been trying to make a miso sesame dressing but haven't gotten around to buying miso yet. Next week.

Toasted sesame maple dressing
adapted from Rebar, modern food cook book
Makes 1 cup

2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves minced
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 olive oil
salt and pepper

Whisk all ingredients together. Puree in a food processor to get a silky texture.

No comments: