Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Summer Sambos: smoked turkey, blue cheese and red onion

The latest issue of Bon Appetit is out, September 2008, and its their annual restaurant issue. This is one of my favorite issues because I find it has an even higher ratio of excellent recipes then usual.

On the first read, the smoked turkey, blue cheese and red onion sandwiches instantly caught my attention. If you want to know just how many flavours you can pack between two slices of bread (or a ciabatta roll), try this out. Very delicious.

I served it with their frisee and apple salad with dried cherries and walnuts (I used mixed greens instead of full frisee lettuce) and it made a terrific summer dinner.

One comment I have about the sandwich, is in the preparation instructions. It says to saute the red onions until soft and lightly brown ... about 8 minutes. My thoughts are that you want to caramelize the onions, to really bring out their rich flavour. This means sauteing for at least 15 minutes. I sauteed for about 30 minutes last night on a medium (first 15 minutes) to medium low heat (remaining 15 minutes) and they were near perfect.

Here's a link to my favorite recipe from last year's restaurant issue, Gordon Ramsay's Sauteed Zucchini, Cherry Tomatoes, Olives and Basil.

No comments: