Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bulgur Salad with Kale, Salami and Olives

We don't have a Whole Foods Market in Victoria but I still love the store. I have one of their green bags that I use at our local grocery stores. It makes me feel like I could be grocery shopping in Vancouver or Portland or just somewhere else.

The other thing I like about Whole Foods is the recipe section of its' website. It has tons of great tasing and healthy recipes. The website is nicely layed out and is easy to browse. I recently made the Bulgur Salad with Kale, Salami and Olives and was deliciously pleasing results.




It's one of the top rated recipes and for good reasons. It's a great side dish to make for dinner or you can enjoy it on its own for lunch. It's a good potluck dish since it can feed a crowd and tastes good served warm or cold. Also, it will make a terrific picnic addition once we get a little closer to summer.


Bulgur Salad with Kale, Salami and Olives (serves 4 to 6)
Choose your favorite salami for this dish, if you're looking for recommendations, mine is hungarian.

Ingredients
2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups medium-grind bulgur wheat
6 cups (about 1/4 pound) roughly chopped kale
1/4 pound thinly sliced salami, roughly chopped
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped pitted olives
2 to 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
salt and pepper to taste



Directions
Bring broth to a boil in a large pot. Stir in bulgur then cover and simmer until just tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover, scatter kale over the top, cover and cook until wilted and tender, 4 to 5 minutes more. Set aside off of the heat, covered, for 5 minutes then uncover and fluff with a fork.

Transfer bulghur and kale to a large bowl, add salami, parsley, olives, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper and toss gently to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love whole foods too!! and I have one of those nice mini bags great for a small shopping :)

Olive Tree said...

Hi,it's a very great blog.
I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
Keep doing!

Melody Wey said...

It just makes my day reading new comments, thank you.