Tuesday, August 17, 2010

How to Make Homemade Ice Tea

I can trace my love of ice tea back to summers as a kid. Taking the lid off the GoodHost ice tea powder container, carefully scooping three spoonfuls of the sweet power into a glass and filling the glass with cold water. After a couple of stirs, I was ready to take the glass out into the sun and slowly savour every sip. Or, just stand there gulping it down as quickly as possible. Either one.

Things haven't changed much because I still love ice tea. But now I make my own. It's cheap, easy to make and has far less sugar. It's an all natural thirst quencher. You can jazz up the recipe below further by adding mint, strawberries, blueberries, or something more adult like Pimm's. Are you thirsty yet?


Summertime Ice Tea
Recipe from Chatelaine's Spiked Ice Tea

Ingredients
3 tea bags (I use Red Rose Orange Pekoe)
2 oranges
2 lemons
4-5 cups boiling water
1/3 cup sugar

Directions
In a large tea pot, pour 5 to 6 cups of boiling water over 3 tea bags. Steep for 4 minutes and take the tea bags out. Add 1/3 cup sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves.

Meanwhile, slice one orange and one lemon and add into a juice jug. Squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon and orange into the jug as well. Once the hot tea has cooled, add to the jug and refrigerate until cold.

No comments: