Thursday, October 07, 2010

Giving Thanks: Thanksgving Dinner Ideas

Thanksgiving is always a special occasion. A little time out with friends and family and a chance to give thanks for all we have. But more than this, it's also a day to have one of the best meals of the year. Turkey, gravy, all those amazing side dishes and pumpkin pie. Mmmm.


One of my holiday favorites is Brussels sprouts. I think it's because they're often only made at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, that they are so good. They're best kept simple, steamed with a little butter, salt and pepper. I love slicing them in half and using them the to soak up the extra gravy on my plate. Oh I can hardly wait.

Here's a few recipe ideas for a delicious and stress-free dinner:



My ultimate thanksgiving pick is this recipe for cranberry sauce with cassis. Fresh cranberries and a little black current liquor makes a huge difference to the flavour.


For the days after Thanksgiving when there's lots of leftover turkey, here's a perfect solution- turkey vegetable soup or a turkey, blue cheese and red onions sandwich.

More Recipe Help...

There's lots of help out there if you're looking for a new recipe, a little inspiration or how-to tips. To help save you a little searching, here's a few sites offering all the help you may need to make Thanksgiving dinner this year:

* Food Network's Thanksgiving Dinners including a recipe for pumpkin creme brulee.
* An index of all Simply Recipes' Thanksgiving suggestions including chiffon pumpkin pie.
* How to make perfect gravy from UK's Guardian
* The Globe and Mail's Lucy Waverman shares secrets to a juicer, quicker turkey.
* Cascadia Kitchen's pumpkin pie garnished with mixed nut brittle.

2 comments:

Toccata said...

Hey I just wanted to stop by and tell you I made the cranberry sauce for tonight's Thanksgiving Dinner and they were a hit. I had left a comment on your original post saying I wanted to try them and I did and I think I have now found a dish that will become a tradition. So thanks for posting it. I have always enjoyed your blog. I hope you have had a great Thanksgiving Weekend.

Melody Wey said...

Thanks for both comments, I'm glad it was a hit. I just love this sauce. I made a double batch for a big family dinner last night and it was a hit as well.

Thanks again for reading and your comments. People like you make it all worthwhile:)