Friday, December 24, 2010

Holiday Baking: Chocolate Earth Balls

Guest blogger: Lorelei Wey

Whenever I go home for Christmas, my family always lays out platters of butter tarts, mince tarts, shortbread cookies and chocolates. It's wonderful of course, don't get me wrong. But since I'm desperately trying to shed my pregnancy pounds this year, I decided to make a holiday treat that I can feel somewhat good about eating. And as a bonus, the added protein from the nut butter and seeds will help keep the ol’ blood sugar levels even- which I’m sure my family will greatly appreciate!


These Chocolate Earth balls are tasty as can be and there is no baking required. What could be easier! Feel free to substitute in any other dried fruit, seeds or nuts that you have on hand, just as I did.


Chocolate Earth balls
Source: Whole Foods Market

Ingredients
1 cup peanut butter (I used a 3/4 cup peanut butter and 1/4 cup almond butter)
1/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup raisins (I used chopped apricots which worked well)
3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Directions
Mix the nut butter, honey and cocoa powder until well combined. Next, add the raisins, chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of the shredded coconut. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.

Place the sesame seeds, chopped walnuts and the rest of the coconut into 3 separate bowls. You can now roll the dough into bite-sized balls and roll each ball into one of the three bowls of coatings.

Arrange balls on a plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Island Vittles said...

These look delicious -- and I love the little bald head in the background -- so cute! Can we consider these a first stage detox after the indulgences of Christmas? Happy New Year! theresa